Director of the Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences
Biology Centre CAS
1. 7. 2022
28. 2. 2022
Board of the Biology Centre CAS, v. v. i. (BC) announces a selection procedure for the position of the Director of the Institute.
BC, located in České Budějovice, is among the largest and most productive research institutions in the Czech Republic. It is a multidisciplinary institute comprising five partially independent units with different research focus: Institutes of Entomology, Hydrobiology, Parasitology, Plant Molecular Biology, and Soil Biology. The Centre’s over 70 independent research groups, 300+ PhD-level researchers from across the globe, and 130+ doctoral students focus mainly on fundamental but also applied research, particularly in ecology, evolution, and biomedicine. The BC collaborates with several Czech universities on pre- and post-graduate student training.
The Director’s role includes strategic leadership, management, and work coordination of the BC Institutes. To fill this position, we are seeking an internationally renowned scientist with a well-established track in one of the research fields of BC as well as experience with managing a research institution, a large research group, and/or major international project(s). The Director represents the institution domestically and internationally, regularly interacts with academic partners, businesses and the public. Strong leadership and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are expected. Fluent command of English is necessary (the Czech language is not a prerequisite but a benefit); experience with the European research environment and legislation is a major asset. Expected tenure: five years, from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2027.
• the successful candidate will have to prove his/her criminal integrity and eligibility for legal agreements, and will have to declare no conflict of interests according to Czech law (Section 17(4) of Act No. 341/2005 Coll. and Act No. 451/1991 Coll.),
• fulfilment of legal requirements shall be documented by the selected candidate to the President of the CAS no later than on the date of appointment to the position of Director of the Institute.
For more information/questions about the position email Hana.Machova@bc.cas.cz (the BC Secretary) with the subject "Selection procedure".
How to apply:
Send us the following documents via the "REPLY" button below:
• structured CV,
• proof of higher education and scientific qualifications,
• overview of existing practice up to the present,
• list of main scientific papers and publications,
• concept of the management strategy of BC including a vision for its future development.