PhD in Oxic Methanogens
Institute of Soil Biology
Department of soil microbiology
1. 2. 2022
10. 1. 2022
Methane is a potent greenhouse gas and a vital energy source. Methanogenesis was thought to occur only in anoxic environments. However, recent works challenge this notion by showing the activity of some methanogens in oxic and even dry environments. This project aims to uncover how methanogens cope with oxygen and desiccation. The work will include growing novel methanogen cultures from upland soils and comparative genomics with existing strains to postulate which genetic mechanisms are involved in the above-mentioned stress tolerance processes. This will be followed by physiological, transcriptomic, and proteomic experiments to confirm these hypotheses.
Cultivation, Electron microscopy, Physiological manipulations, Genomics, Transcriptomics and Proteomics
• Do you have Prior experience cultivation of microbes and bioinformatics? It will be favourably considered but is not a prerequisite for selection.
• Do you have solid lab skills?
• Are you proficient in written and spoken English?
Great, we are looking for you!
• Subsidized lunches in our canteen
• Benefits from Social fund
• Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
• Friendly international working environment
• Support of leisure time activities
• Free language classes – Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs (the capacity is limited)
• Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
• Concessionary mobile tariff at the contractual operator
• Concessionary banking services at the contractual bank
History wherever you turn and excellent beer. That is České Budějovice (2 hours away from Prague). A city with over 750 years of tradition, the breathtaking countryside around, and a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre CAS and the University of South Bohemia. Check out our Guide for Expats to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic. Czech and English are being used on equal rights as working languages of ISB, so applicants from abroad are most welcome. You may also find useful information about studying in the Czech Republic and living costs at Studyin.cz and Numbeo.
The Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences holds the HR Excellence in Research Award. Our selection process is transparent, open, non-discriminating, and fair. For more information about the researchers' recruitment policy at our institution, see OTM-R.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Send us the following documents via the "REPLY" button below by 10 January 2022:
• Professional CV (no more than two pages)
• Statement of interest and motivation for the position (max. one page)
• List of publications (if any)
• Names and contact information of two professional references
If you have any queries, you may contact Dr Roey Angel via email: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Oxic Methanogens-PhD)